Mailman Announce List
To make a Mailman mailing list an "announce list" from the default mailing list configuration takes some changes in the administrative interface.
Things to change
- "Hide the sender of a message" is disabled by default, but anonymizing the sender is generally desirable.
- Reply-to header stripping is disabled by default.
- Replies go to poster by default, this is generally desirable.
- An explicit Reply-to header may be desirable in many cases, if there are multiple announcers.
- The "List-Post" header should be disabled for announce lists (it is on by default).
- It is generally contrary to the concept of an announce list for subscribers to receive batched digests, so turning off "Can subscribers choose to receive mail immediately, rather than in batched digests?" it probably a bad idea.
- "Can list members choose to receive list traffic bunched in digests?" should be set to "no." It is set to "yes" by default.
- "Who can view subscription list?" Should be set to "List admin only," as with announce lists the recipients need not know of each others' identities.
Sender filters are the heart of the difference between a chat list and an announce list.
- Postings from new list members should be moderated (this is the default).
- Postings by moderated members should be rejected (not default).
- Action takes for postings from non-members should be set to reject or discard (default is "hold").