Windows 8 Mail Setup
This document outlines configuring the Mail application that ships with Windows 8 for your Sonic.net account.
Setting up a new account
Click the "Mail" tile from the Windows 8 main screen to begin.
- Click "View All in Settings" from the menu on the left hand side.
- Click the option for "Other account" on the right hand menu.
- Under "What type of account is this?" chose IMAP and click "Connect."
- Enter your Sonic.net email address including the @sonic.net.
- Enter your Sonic.net email password.
- Click "Connect"
- You will get a message that settings cannot be automatically detected.
- Enter your Sonic.net username (without the @sonic.net) in the "Username" field.
- Under "Incoming (IMAP) email server" enter "imap.sonic.net"
- Set the port for 993 and check the box for "Incoming server requires SSL."
- Under "Outgoing (SMTP) email server" enter "mail.sonic.net"
- Set the port for 465 and check the boxes for "Outgoing server requires SSL" "Outgoing server requires authentication" and "Use the same username and password to send and receive mail"
- Click "Connect"
- You will be redirected to the inbox, and messages should begin to download.
To access the settings for existing accounts in Windows 8 Mail press the Windows Key and the C key on the keyboard to bring up the menu.
- Click the gear icon labeled "Settings" from the right hand menu.
- Click "Accounts"
- Select your Sonic.net email account from the right hand menu.
- Set "Your name" for what you'd like your name to display on your outgoing emails.
- Scroll down to see the additional settings.
- Enter your Sonic.net password in the "Password" field.
- "Incoming email server" should be "imap.sonic.net" and port "993"
- Check the box for "Server requires SSL"
- Outgoing email server should be "mail.sonic.net" and port "465"
- Check the boxes for "Server requires SSL" "Outgoing server requires authentication" and "Use the same username and password to send and receive mail."
- Scroll down further to see additional settings.
- To sync the "Sent items" with the mail server select "Inbox/Sent" from the dropdown.
- To sync the "Deleted items" with the mail server select "Inbox/Trash" from the dropdown.
Click outside the right hand menu to save the settings and return to your email.